Friday, March 20, 2009

A Long Train Ride

We made the trip back to Paris today. On the train over I sat facing the back of the train and so when I looked out the window it looked as if I was going away from everything instead of as if I were going towards everything- I was continually leaving. 

We passed through the Ardennes region of Belgium. It was really beautiful with rolling green hills, patches of dense forest in the distance and picturesque farmland.

This is the area where the Battle of the Bulge was fought. Nearly 20,000 men died on these fields. Now look at the land, there isn't a hint of all the suffering that took place. I wonder if the food grown here tastes different. Is the fruit bitter? I know it seems perverse to mention but it is a perversion of another sort to pass through this land and not to think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment